Mike’s Smoky Mississippi Chicken
This is a variation on the Easy Mississippi Roast recipe using chicken breasts with a little added smoke flavor. This dish goes great with mashed potatoes and a vegetable side dish.
3 lbs. (4 halves) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 Tbsp. pepperoncini pepper juice
1 Tbsp. liquid smoke (hickory)
2 tsp. ancho chili powder
2 tsp. smoked paprika
1 package Original Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix (dry)
1 package Au Jus Gravy mix (dry)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
5-6 pepperoncini (Greek Salad) peppers
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray. Add pepper juice and liquid smoke to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle smoked paprika and ancho chili powder over chicken. Sprinkle 1 packet au jus gravy mix and 1 packet ranch dressing mix on top of the chicken.
- Then, top with 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter and 5-6 pepperoncini peppers.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4 hours. The chicken will produce its own juices so you don't have to add any other liquid to this.
- When it's ready, remove the peppers then remove the chicken and use a couple of forks to shred the chicken. Return the shredded chicken to the crockpot and mix with the sauce. Return the peppers around the sides. Then serve!
- Serving options can be to serve it on sub rolls with some melted provolone cheese or over rice, egg noodles or mashed potatoes. A vegetable side dish like green beans goes great with this dish. Alabama White BBQ Sauce can be used on the chicken for a great BBQ flavor.