These are quick refrigerator pickles. Mom would often make them with just a little salt and sugar in the vinegar, but here is a similar recipe without the sugar that looks really good.
3-4 large cucumbers
1 large white onion
2 cups apple cider or white vinegar
1 cup water
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder or 4 cloves of minced fresh garlic
- 1. Peel and score cucumbers lengthwise with a fork then slice them crosswise in medium thick slices.
- 2. Quarter onion, then slice crosswise in 1/2 inch thick slices.
- 3. Pour vinegar and water in large, non-metallic bowl, add spices and mix well.
- 4. Add cucumbers and onions to bowl. Other vegetables can be added as well, such as pieces of carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes, etc.
- 5. If necessary, add more vinegar and water to bowl to cover vegetables. Maintain ratio of 2 to 1 for vinegar to water. You can change the vinegar to water ratio to adjust the sourness to your taste. The 2 to 1 ratio is tart.
- 6. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours. Overnight is even better.